Carrick Swan v Ballyporeen, County Intermediate Football Final 2009

Swans Salvo Sinks Ballyporeen 

Carrick Swan 4-12  Ballyporeen 0-10

A stunning third quarter when they scored 2-8 without reply saw Carrick Swan end a bad week in the best possible fashion with victory in the County IFC final at Clonmel on Sunday.
The Carrick side repeated their South final win over their rivals but this time in more emphatic fashion.

Ballyporeen led by a point at the break, 0-7 to 1-3, but were blown away after half time. Swan may have had the wind in their favour after the interval but that alone cannot explain their total dominance.

Their football was quite majestic for the time of year and on a heavy pitch. Dual star Danny O’Hanlon was the match hero with three cracking goals plus two points. Keith Walsh was equally impressive in a Swan attack that purred like a Rolls Royce in the second thirty minutes. Ian Cleary twisted and turned the Bally’ defence inside out and ended up with four super points from play. Indeed all but one of the Swan scores came from play - and that was a pointed free from Stephen Hahessy in the second minute.

Hahessy was also superb as were Alan Rockett and Barry Murphy. The defece had little enough to do in the second half but Anthony O’Donnell, James Walsh, Aran Harrigan and Jamie Sweetman were soundness personified.

What of Ballyporeen? Quite simply, after just shading the first half when it took O’Hanlon’s first goal to keep Swan in touch, they couldn’t get the ball out of their own half in the first fifteen minutes of the second half.

They couldn’t interrupt the Swan momentum. They didn’t get their first score in the second half until the 16th minute from sub MJ Meaney who added another a minute later. A late pointed free from top marksman Conor Sweeney wrapped up a dismal second period for them.

Swan joy was unconfined at the final whistle. It ended a week that the club would prefer to forget following incidents at the county junior semi-final a week earlier and also completed a county intermediate double for the town following Davins’ win in the hurling equivalent.

There was no indication of what was to come in the first half. Hahessy’s free gave Swan the lead but Ballyporeen had gone in front by the fourth minute with two points from Conor Sweeney.

Keith Walsh had Swan level by the 12th minute but Ballyporeen were playing the better football and deservedly went two ahead by the 22nd minute.

The lead point was a super score from Darragh Lyons, started by an Eoin Kearney free and carried on by Larry Brophy and Francis Martin. The second was from a Sweeney free following a foul on Kearney.

But before things could slip from Swan, enter Danny O’Hanlon.