[Untitled]‎ > ‎

2013 - A Brief Review

posted 11 Jan 2014, 06:58 by carrick swan

Ahead of our medal presentation tonight, here's a brief review of last year.

2013 was a very successful year for Carrick Swan GAA Club. We contested nine South Finals this year with no fewer than seven South Cups coming back to the club while our Camogie girls also won the u12 County Shield title when they defeated St Mary’s of Clonmel in the final.

Our first silverware of the year was won on Good Friday, March 29th when we defeated Killenaule in Monroe in the u21 South ‘B’ Football Final on a scoreline of 4-07 to 0-10. Our u21s also won our last piece of silverware for the year when they defeated St Mary’s of Clonmel in a nail-biting  South u21 ‘A’ Final in Kilsheelan on Saturday November 30th.

After an indifferent start to the year, our Minor ‘A’ hurlers won the divisional title on Sunday October 13th in Clonmel Sportsfield, beating Kilsheelan Gaels in the final. A very impressive second half display saw us run out 2-16 to 0-07 winners.

Our u16’s won their division and reached the County ‘A’ Final, where they narrowly lost out to North Champions Kilruane MacDonaghs.

Our u14’s had a super year, winning the South Feile title in April, defeating Balingarry in the final. They then went on to win the South u14 ‘A’ Championship defeating St Mary’s of Clonmel in the final, after extra time in Cloneen on a scorching hot Thursday, August 29th. It was a performance that epitomised our never say die spirit throughout 2013. Losing by a goal with less than 8 minutes to go, we brought it back level with three excellent points to force extra time. In extra time we outclassed our opposition and brought home the cup.

Our u10 Group 1’s won their South title in October after some impressive displays against Cahir, Moyle Rovers, St Patricks and St Marys.

Our Seniors went agonisingly close to delivering our 23rd South title in August, where a late goal decided the game while our u12’s were denied the South title by a point blank save with the last puck of the ball against Moyle Rovers in October.