[Untitled]‎ > ‎

Another Good Win

posted 10 Nov 2013, 08:28 by Carrick Swans
Swan u21's travelled to Kilsheelan today to take on pre-championship favourites, St Marys in their final group game. The objective was simple. Win and we top the group, lose and we were hoping St Marys would beat Killenaule next week for us to go through.

The game started off at a decent pace, with both clubs matching each other all over the field. Marys started to get on top coming mid way through the half and raised the first green flag of the game on 14 minutes to put them 1-04 to 0-03 up.

In the 19th minute St Mary's found the net once more and Swan looked to be in serious trouble. Marys added on another couple of points before Swan got a much needed goal through Bill Walsh in the 24th minute. A great pass by Colin Loughman to Bill, who then proceeded to capitalise on the space in front of him before burying across the keeper into the far corner, from a tight angle. St Marys 2-07 Carrick Swan 1-04.

At half time, the score was Carrick Swan 1-06 St Mary's 2-09. St Mary's looked to be on their way to two points but credit to our lads, we fought on and kept plugging away in the second half.

The opening ten minutes of the second half were rip-roaring and set the tone for the remainder of the game. A Dean Murphy goal in the 34th minute brought us right back into it and at the 45 minute mark, midway through the second half we were down 2-12 to 2-10. Marys now came back at us and started to run riot in front of our goal scoring a total of 6 unanswered points between the 39th and 50th minutes.

That was until Dean Murphy scored a super goal from 25 yards to bring us back into the game. Game on, going into the last 10 minutes.

Scores, for both sides became hard to come by in the final period and with 58 minutes played the score was St Marys 2-17 Carrick Swan 3-12. Swan now needed to throw the metaphorical kitchen sink st St Marys. A Mike Loughman sideline from 50 yards into the square resulted in another Swan sideline, this time at the opposite side of the field (scoreboard side, 30 yards out from the top goal). Lee Wall was the man who cut it across and eventually it was handpassed to centre back Colin Waters, who made no mistake and buried the ball to the net through an array of defenders. 4-12 to 2-17.

St Marys were afforded one last chance but that was averted through the covering and hard work of Mikey Loughman.

Full time score Carrick Swan 4-12, St Marys 2-17.

It's always nice to win championship games in such fashion as we won today's game, however it needs to be noted that no cup is handed out in the League section of the Championship. St Mary's will be very happy with how they played today, scoring 17 points in November conditions is some going and they will surely have a big say in where the South Cup goes this year. They play Killenaule next week in a winner takes all game for the second spot in the group.

Today's win qualifies us on top of our group where we will now face Mullinahone in the South Semi Final, which will probably be played on the weekend of November 24th. Mullinahone beat Ballingarry a couple of weeks back but lost to Ballybacon/Grange today, to qualify them in 2nd place in their group for the Semi Finals.