[Untitled]‎ > ‎

Match Report from The Nationalist - u21 football

posted 17 Feb 2013, 12:56 by Carrick Swans

Saturday February 9th

Swans look good in puttinig up huge score

Carrick Swans 7-13

Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s 0-5

This was the first match of the year for the South Board and Carrick Swans couldn’t have asked for an easier workout to get their championship campaign started. They arrived in Monroe last Saturday well prepared, well organised and well up for the challenge.

Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s, on the other hand, turned up understrength, missing players to a college hurling match and injury, unfocused and disjointed. While the combination outfit tried hard and even got off to a bright start, once Swans got into their stride they struggled to match their intensity and teamwork.

Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s did start well, dominating possession for the first ten minutes, but lack of penetration and poor finishing meant they were only level at one point each by the time Dean Murphy put Swans ahead for the first time with a goal in the tenth minute. It was downhill from there for Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s as Swans choked off their possession with Dale O’Mahony, Dean Murphy and particularly Bill Walsh controlling affairs around the middle, and Evan Hogan and Danny Fitzpatrick leading the line up front. Swans set about building up a commanding lead with two more goals from Fitzpatrick and Hogan along with two points each from Dale O’Mahony, Mikey Loughman and Dean Murphy which left them 3-7 to 0-2 ahead at half time. Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s points coming from Robert O’Brien and Dan Morgan.

A Swans goal from Danny Fitzpatrick within a minute of the restart ensured the second half was played out in the same vein as the first. Swans controlled the game, scoring almost at will and pressurising Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s into mistakes and turnovers and restricting them to just three points in the half. Swans had all their substitutions made early in the second half and even that didn’t disrupt their dominance. More goals from Bill Walsh, Bill Barrett and substitute Derek Burrows and points from Dale O’Mahony (2), Bill Walsh, Dean Murphy, Jack Walsh and Gavin O’Halloran left them easy winners on a final score of 7-13 to 0-5. Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s points coming from Sean Flynn, Dan O’Riordan and a particularly delightful score from Seamus Burke.

For Carrick Swans this was a first game of the championship but based on this performance it could be a long campaign. Although the opposition were under-strength this was a very impressive display of power, skill and teamwork. Indeed one of the most impressive parts of their performance was their determination to continue playing for each other even though the game was won long before the final whistle. Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s have a job of work to do to pick themselves up for the next round. But at full strength and with a little more cohesion added to the undoubted abilities of Robert O’Brien, Dan Morgan and Sean Flynn, which were on display here, the future in this competition might not be all bleak

Swans: Sean Dowley, Colin Waters, Sean Dunphy, Jamie Torpey, Colin Loughman, Jack Walsh (0-1), Lee Wall, Dean Murphy (1-2), Dale O’Mahony (0-4), Mikey Loughman (0-3), Bill Walsh (1-1), Martin Griffin, Bill Barrett (1-0), Danny Fitzpatrick (2-0), Evan Hogan (1-1). Subs used; Gavin O’Halloran (0-1), Derek Burrows (1-0), Scott Hogan, Dale O’Hanlon, Sean Boland.

Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s: Gary Condon, Thomas Sampsom, Kevin Watson, Kieran King, Rouaire Joyce, Stephen O’Driscoll, Shane O’Brien, Dan Morgan (0-1), Robert O’Brien (0-1), John Ferguson, Sean Flynn (1-0), Eamonn Gleeson, Shane Lowry, Dan O’Riordan (0-1), Seamus Burke (0-1). Sub used Adrian O’Brien.  

Ref: Keith Delahunty Moyle Rovers.