[Untitled]‎ > ‎

Media Match Report - Swan vs Ballingarry

posted 16 Jun 2013, 15:51 by colm osullivan
Media Match Report: https://sites.google.com/a/gaa.ie/tipperary-gaa/latestnews/southtipperaryshcsemi-final-carrickswan1-17ballingarry1-14

South Tipperary senior hurling semi-final 

Swan Survive Ballingarry Rally 

Carrick Swan 1-17, Ballingarry 1-14 

At half time in this well contested South Tipp senior hurling semi-final Swan led Ballingarry by 0-09 to 0-05. The Carrick team had played with a stiff breeze in the first half. However, it was Swan who started the second half much the better. Gerry Walsh pointed from the throw in. Lee Wall put in Danny O’Hanlon for a goal in seven minutes and when Dwane Fogarty pointed two minutes later it left the scoreboard reading Carrick Swan 1-14, Ballingarry 0-07. With a ten point lead and all the momentum with them, it looked as if the tie was done and dusted. Not for nothing were Ballingarry once known as the “lads from the land of no surrender”. For the next five scoreless minutes, there was a lull in the Carrick hurling storm. Then between the 14th and 22nd minutes Ballingarry halved the gap to five points scoring five. Bill Walsh stopped the rally with an important point, but as time ran out Ballingarry came again with a point and then Ciaran Shelly was placed for a goal by the foraging Michael Ivors. Another goal for Ballingarry who now had the momentum one felt would win it for them. Two minutes to go and Adrian Cleere pointed to leave a point between the sides. 

Patrons were asking about draws and extra time, but this never happened. Two incidents in the last few minutes and four minutes of added time were hugely significant. With three minutes to go Ballingarry came raiding down their left wing and the ball was centred in towards the Swan goal. Had it cleared the defenders and dropped in front of the inrushing forwards it might have been curtains for Swan who now only led by two points. Alan” Thunder” O’Sullivan caught the ball as it was falling behind him and cleared. It was a match winning effort. Two minutes into added time again the Ballingarry attackers came in towards goal and this time into the ruck went Swan keeper Tom Kennedy and he emerged with the ball in hand to clear. A Swan attack was launched and as the forwards went through a foul was committed and Danny O’Hanlon pointed just before referee Keith Delahunty blew the final whistle. While Swan might have deserved to win, few neutrals would have quibbled with a draw. 

Ballingarry opened the scoring against the breeze with a point. Danny O’Hanlon replied from a free and from play in the 5th and 6th minutes. Liam Cahill equalised before O’Hanlon and James Watters put Swan two in front. In 12 minutes Donal Shelly (B) and Danny O’Hanlon (S) were yellow carded. In the next minute, Ballingarry goalie Johnny Holohan proved his worth with a fine save. O’Hanlon and Adrian Cleere exchanged points. Lee Wall, O’Hanlon from a free and Wall again tacked on Carrick points. Seanie Cahill pointed a free for Ballingarry. In 26 minutes, it was Tom Kennedy’s turn to make a fine save. Then in the run in to half time, Liam Cahill (B) and Alan O’Sullivan (S) saw yellow. Eamon Tuohy became a temporary sub for Liam Cahill. The last action of the half was a Danny O’Hanlon point from a free for Swan. Half time score Carrick Swan 0-09, Ballingarry 0-05. 

Gerry Walsh pointed for Swan and Michael Ivors immediately replied. O’Hanlon and Cahill exchanged points from frees. Then came a Swan scoring burst with points from Dwayne Fogarty, Lee Wall (a great effort), O’Hanlon’s goal having been placed by Lee Wall and a point from Dwayne Fogarty. We then had a lull in scoring before the Ballingarry fight back began with a Seanie Cahill point from a free. Eamon Tuohy came on for Ballingarry. Donal Shelly had a fine point, Cahill pointed a free and Shelly pointed again. Cahill from another free cut the gap to five points before Bill Walsh made his first impact on the game with a point. Stephen Hahessy (S) saw yellow as the game was now of championship tempo. Another Cahill free and point and Ciaran Shelly’s goal saw the fat in the fire. Adrian Cleere pointed, but Donal Shelly was wide from long distance. “Thunder” and Tom Kennedy made their interventions. Alan P. Ryan and Paul Diffley were now on for Swan. Having just survived the Ballingarry rally, Bill Walsh and O’Hanlon opened the gap out to three points in added time. Full time: Carrick Swan 1-17, Ballingarry 1-14. 

Well done to both team on fine displays of hurling. There were many top class displays on both sides, much more than usual. For Swan to those already mentioned add the names of Martin Russell and Kevin Lanigan. From Ballingarry we had a top class display from Ian Ivors, also Dickie Norton and the Fennellys. Swan advance to another South final, while Ballingarry who felt the loss of absentees must take the qualifier route. 


Carrick Swan Tom Kennedy Darren Murphy Alan O’Sullivan Darren Fahey Aaron Walsh Kevin Lanigan Johnny Grace Gerry Walsh Martin Russell Danny O’Hanlon James Waters Stephen Hahessy Dwayne Fogarty Bill Walsh Lee Wall 
Subs used Alan P Ryan Dale O’Hanlon Paul Diffley 

Ballingarry Johnny Holohan Gerry Fitzgerald Eamon Cahill Danny Fitzgerald Jack Fennelly Ian Ivors Dickie Norton Seanie Cahill Donal Shelly Adrian Cleere Ciaran Shelly Liam Cahill Brian Cooney Michael Ivors Richard Butler 

Referee Keith Delahunty Moyle Rovers 

Report supplied by Ricky Sheehan