[Untitled]‎ > ‎

Minor 'A' South Champions 2013

posted 13 Oct 2013, 08:47 by Carrick Swans

Full-time score: Carrick Swan 2-16 Kilsheelan Gaels 0-07

Carrick Swan Minor hurlers travelled to Clonmel earlier today in search of our first Minor ‘A’ hurling title for eight years. Kilsheelan Gaels (Kilsheelan/Kilcash and Newcastle) were the opposition.

In the run up to this game it was difficult to know which way it was going to go. Carrick Swan and Kilsheelan Gaels finished 3rd and 4th respectively in the group section. Kilsheelan Gaels beat a highly fancied St Mary’s team in the Semi Final while Swan beat an impressive Moyle Rovers team.

Today was going to be tough but training has being going well in recent weeks under the guidance of Gerry Walsh, Alan O’ Sullivan, Jim Kennedy and Jamie Sweetman.

In the opening quarter of an hour of today’s game both sides were guilty of some poor shooting. Kilsheelan Gaels seemed to be on top all over the field, however this dominance didn’t show on the scoreboard. The score after 15 minutes was Carrick Swan 0-02 Kilsheelan Gaels 0-02.

We began to come into the game more and did the majority of our first half hurling and scoring between the 17th and 27th minute. We outscored Kilsheelan Gaels by 1-04 to 0-02 in this period. The opening goal came in the 26th minute when Bill Barrett pulled across the square towards Derek ‘Batchy’ Burrows, who managed to control under pressure before calmly shooting beyond the advancing keeper. The next point was vital and it was Swan who got it via Dean Walsh in the 27th minute to leave the score 1-06 Kilsheelan Gaels 0-04. Kilsheelan added a further point before half time to leave the score 1-06 to 0-05.

Ten minutes into the second half we found ourselves 1-10 to 0-06 up and started to get on top all over the field. We kept the scoreboard ticking over and after 50 minutes we were 1-14 to 0-06 up.

In the 57th minute Dale O’ Mahony buried the ball past the Kilsheelan Gaels keeper to huge applause as there was now no doubt that the South Cup was coming back to Carrick once more.

Full-time score: Carrick Swan 2-16 Kilsheelan Gaels 0-07

Best for Swan on the day were Luke Gahan and Jack Cooke in the forwards while Eric O’ Halloran at half back, and Dale O’ Hanlon at centre back also impressed.

Carrick Swan now march on to Semple Stadium on Wednesday night (7-30pm throw in) where our County Semi Final opponents will be North Champions, Nenagh Eire Óg. Since we won our last Minor South title in 2005 Nenagh have won 7 North Minor ‘A’ titles (in a row) and will be formidable opposition having scored 4-22 from play in their North Final win (AET) over Toomevara. The full time score in that game was Nenagh Eire Óg 4-22 V 3-20 Toomevara. Holycross await the winners of Wednesday night’s game in the Co Final.

Swan scorers today:

Dean Walsh (0-05)
Dale O’ Mahony (1-01)
Jack Cooke (0-03)
Derek Burrows (1-0)
Bill Barrett (0-02)
Lee Wall (0-02)
Luke Gahan (0-01)
Eric O’ Halloran (0-01)
Gavin O’ Halloran (0-01)


South Chairman Joe Brennan presents the cup to Swan's Lee Wall